The San Francisco 49ers kept hold of first place in the NFC West by extending their winning streak to five games while ending the Miami Dolphins’ winning streak at five games.
San Francisco defeated Miami 33-17 on Sunday, with Jimmie Ward contributing five tackles and an interception.
The versatile former Davidson High School star started at cornerback this time around in the San Francisco secondary.
With 10:01 left in the third quarter, Ward personally ended another Miami streak. Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa had thrown a franchise-record 193 passes since his most recent interception on Sept. 29 when Ward dived over Miami running back Jeff Wilson when he slipped down and came up with an interception at the 49ers 36-yard line.
The interception was Ward’s second in three games and sixth in his career.
The victory lifted San Francisco to 8-4, allowing the 49ers to remain one game ahead of the Seattle Seahawks at the top of the division standings.
Ward was among the 37 players from Alabama high schools and colleges (excluding Alabama and Auburn) who got on the field on the 13th Sunday of the NFL’s 103rd season.
Five other former state players were involved in the Miami-San Francisco game:
· Dolphins outside linebacker Trey Flowers (Columbia) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Tyreek Hill (West Alabama) started at wide receiver for the Dolphins. Hill had nine receptions for 146 yards and one touchdown. He scored on a 45-yard catch on the second snap of the fourth quarter as Miami cut San Francisco’s lead to 23-17. With 1,379 receiving yards in 2022, Hill has the third-most receiving yards for a player in his team’s first 12 games of a season in the Super Bowl era, and he became the fourth player since 1970 with six or more games with at least 125 receiving yards in the first 12 contests of a season.
· Forty-Niners cornerback Jackrabbit Jenkins (North Alabama) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Forty-Niners tight end Jordan Matthews (Madison Academy) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Dolphins running back LaMical Perine (Theodore) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
In the other Sunday games:
Pittsburgh Steelers 19, Atlanta Falcons 16
· George Pickens (Hoover) started at wide receiver for the Steelers. Pickens caught a 2-yard pass.
· Steelers linebacker Malik Reed (Dothan) made one tackle.
· Steelers offensive lineman Trent Scott (Lee-Huntsville) played but did not record any stats.
Baltimore Ravens 10, Denver Broncos 9
· Ravens outside linebacker Jeremiah Moon (Hoover) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Ravens defensive tackle Michael Pierce (Daphne, Samford) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Broncos punter Corliss Waitman (South Alabama) averaged 41.1 yards on seven punts, with a 40.7-yard net. Waitman had a 39-yard punt downed at the Baltimore 32-yard line, a 46-yarder for a fair catch at the Baltimore 30, a 35-yarder downed at the Baltimore 30, a 42-yarder for a fair catch at the Baltimore 29, a 46-yarder for a fair catch at the Baltimore 12, a 41-yarder returned 3 yards to the Baltimore 31 and a 39-yarder downed at the Baltimore 9.
· Broncos wide receiver Montrell Washington (Samford) returned three punts for 19 yards, ran back two kickoffs for 26 yards and had a rushing attempt that lost 1 yard.
Green Bay Packers 28, Chicago Bears 19
· Bears fullback Khari Blasingame (Buckhorn) was designated as a game-day inactive.
· Bears wide receiver Velus Jones Jr. (Saraland) returned four kickoffs for 114 yards, including a 42-yarder, and had a rushing attempt that gained 1 yard.
· Bears wide receiver Darnell Mooney (Gadsden City) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Nicholas Morrow (Huntsville) started at linebacker for the Bears. Morrow had six tackles.
Detroit Lions 40, Jacksonville Jaguars 14
· Josh Allen (Abbeville) started at weakside linebacker for the Jaguars. Allen made two tackles and broke up a pass.
· Jaguars tight end Gerrit Prince (UAB) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Jaguars defensive end/outside linebacker Jordan Smith (UAB) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Lions guard Logan Stenberg (James Clemens) was designated as a game-day inactive
· Darious Williams (UAB) started at cornerback for the Jaguars. Williams made three tackles and broke up two passes.
· Jaguars center Darryl Williams (Bessemer City) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
Cleveland Browns 27, Houston Texans 14
· Texans defensive end Mario Addison (Tarrant, Troy) made one tackle and broke up one pass.
· Texans wide receiver Nico Collins (Clay-Chalkville) caught three passes for 35 yards and one touchdown. Collins had a 6-yard touchdown reception with 1:57 left to play.
· Browns linebacker Tae Davis (Oxford) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Tytus Howard (Monroe County, Alabama State) started at right offensive tackle for the Texans.
· Browns offensive tackle Chris Hubbard (UAB) played but did not record any stats.
· Texans cornerback Tremon Smith (Saks) returned a kickoff 21 yards.
· Browns defensive end Alex Wright (Elba, UAB) made four tackles and broke up one pass.
Minnesota Vikings 27, New York Jets 22
· Kwon Alexander (Oxford) started at linebacker for the Jets. Alexander made four tackles and recorded one tackle for loss.
· Jets defensive end Bryce Huff (St. Paul’s Episcopal) played but did not record any stats.
· Vikings quarterback Nick Mullens (Spain Park) dressed for the game but didn’t play.
· Za’Darius Smith (Greenville) started at outside linebacker for the Vikings. Smith made two tackles, registered two quarterback hits and broke up a pass.
· Quincy Williams (Wenonah) started at linebacker for the Jets. Williams made two tackles and registered two quarterback hits.
Washington Commanders 20, New York Giants 20 (OT)
· Giants offensive tackle Korey Cunningham (Montevallo) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Giants cornerback Cor’Dale Flott (Saraland) made two tackles.
· Bobby McCain (Oxford) started at free safety for the Commanders. McCain made five tackles and recorded one tackle for loss.
· Commanders running back J.D. McKissic (Central-Phenix City) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Commanders safety Jeremy Reaves (South Alabama) made three tackles on special teams.
· Giants defensive lineman Nick Williams (Minor, Samford) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
Philadelphia Eagles 35, Tennessee Titans 10
· Eagles wide receiver Kawaan Baker (South Alabama) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Reed Blankenship (West Limestone) started at safety for the Eagles. Blankenship made three tackles and broke up a pass in the rookie’s first NFL start.
· James Bradberry (Pleasant Grove, Samford) started at cornerback for the Eagles. Bradberry made two tackles and broke up two tackles.
· Titans linebacker Zach Cunningham (Pinson Valley) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Ben Jones (Bibb County) started at center for the Titans. Jones returned to the lineup after a concussion had sidelined him for the previous two games.
· Titans linebacker Monty Rice (James Clemens) made six tackles on defense, recorded one tackle for loss and had one tackle on special teams.
· Eagles defensive tackle Anthony Rush is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Quez Watkins (Athens) started at wide receiver for the Eagles. Watkins caught five passes for 37 yards.
Seattle Seahawks 27, Los Angeles Rams 23
· Rams offensive lineman Chandler Brewer (Florence) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Mike Jackson (Spain Park) started at left cornerback for the Seahawks. Jackson made four tackles.
Cincinnati Bengals 27, Kansas City Chiefs 24
· Bengals cornerback Allan George (Andalusia) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Bengals kicker Evan McPherson (Fort Payne) made a 36-yard field goal that tied the game at 17-17 with 7:16 left in the third quarter and a 41-yard field goal that cut Kansas City’s lead to 24-20 with 14:47 to play. He also kicked three extra points.
· Chiefs wide receiver Justyn Ross (Central-Phenix City) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Chiefs defensive tackle Taylor Stallworth (Murphy) made one tackle.
· Cam Taylor-Britt (Park Crossing) started at cornerback for the Bengals. Taylor-Britt made three tackles and broke up a pass.
· Chiefs wide receiver Kadarius Toney (Blount) was designated as a game-day inactive. A hamstring injury has now kept Toney off the field in Kansas City’s past two games.
Las Vegas Raiders 27, Los Angeles Chargers 20
· Raiders running back Ameer Abdullah (Homewood) had a 4-yard run.
· Gerald Everett (UAB/South Alabama) started at tight end for the Chargers. Everett caught five passes for 80 yards. He had the most receiving yards in a game since getting 90 on four receptions in the Los Angeles Rams’ 30-10 victory over the Washington Football Team on Oct. 11, 2020.
· Raiders defensive tackle Neil Farrell Jr. (Murphy) was designated as a game-day inactive.
Dallas Cowboys 54, Indianapolis Colts 19
· Cowboys wide receiver Jalen Tolbert (McGill-Toolen, South Alabama) played but did not record any stats.
· Cowboys defensive end Sam Williams (Lee-Montgomery) made two tackles, recorded one tackle for loss and recovered one fumble. Williams also briefly had his first NFL touchdown. Williams recovered a fumble by Indianapolis quarterback Matt Ryan and returned it 29 yards for a touchdown with 3:59 remaining in the game. But video review of the play showed Williams had been touched down before he got up after recovering the loose football.
Week 13 started on Thursday night, when the Buffalo Bills defeated the New England Patriots 24-10. New England cornerback Marcus Jones (Enterprise, Troy) lined up on offensive and caught a 48-yard touchdown pass.
Week 13 concludes on Monday, when the New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay Buccaneers square off at 7:15 p.m. CDT at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida. ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes will televise the game.
Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.